I have a couple of exciting dishes to share with you that I prepared over the weekend!
But first I had to cut up my first of many pineapples for the summer.
I made a black bean orange quinoa salad for my lunch this week. You’ve got to try this one, it’s delicious! My favorite things about this dish are 1. the variety of flavors you get in each bite (sweetness from the orange, heat from the jalapeño, a kick from the red onion…) and 2. the variety of textures in each bite (juiciness from the orange and grape tomatoes, crunch from the bell pepper and onion, creaminess from the black beans). Check out the recipe here: http://damndelicious.net/2014/05/28/black-bean-quinoa-salad/
Modifications: Instead of corn, I used about 1 cup of halved yellow grape tomatoes. For the orange vinaigrette, I omitted the sugar and only used half of the vinaigrette for the dish.
I’ve been wanting to try this next recipe for a while and so glad I did! Spinach quiche with sweet potato crust. It was really easy to make. I kept it in the fridge and reheated it in the oven when we had it for dinner during the week. Sweet potato, egg, spinach, feta and crushed red pepper flakes work very well together!http://simmerandboil.cookinglight.com/2015/12/27/sweet-potato-quiche-crust/?crlt.pid=camp.H3YGeKOY5wfk
And finally, I made up my own lasagna. I call it, Roasted Vegetable and Chicken Lasagna (dairy free). I replaced ricotta with hummus which added even more flavor and kept creaminess in the dish. It turned out great and I will definitely be making it again. I hope you will give it a try!
7 whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 jar pasta sauce
1 container garlic and herb hummus
3 chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
1 squash, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 bag spinach leaves
handful of fresh basil leaves
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
salt and pepper to taste
extra virgin olive oil
- Bake chicken breasts (drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper) on foil lined pan in 425 degree oven about 30 minutes or until done. Shred chicken breasts. I did this in the morning and kept it in the fridge until I was ready to use it.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water according to package directions (about 10 minutes). Drain and set aside once done.
- Meanwhile, bake sliced zucchini and squash (sprinkled with salt and pepper) on sprayed baking pan in 425 degree oven 8 minutes. Remove and set aside once done.
- In skillet, sauté red onion and minced garlic for 2-3 minutes until onion softens. Add bag of spinach and stir until wilted 2-3 minutes. Add shredded cooked chicken breast and crushed red pepper flakes and toss until well combined.
- Now you are ready to assemble. Spread 1/2 jar pasta sauce on bottom of 13×9 in. baking dish. Lay down 3 lasagna noodles. Spread 1/2 container hummus over noodles. Layer 1/2 of zucchini and squash slices over hummus. Spoon half of chicken and spinach mixture and spread out evenly. Repeat layers starting with pasta sauce and ending with chicken and spinach mixture. Finally, drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Bake in oven about 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Enjoy topped with fresh basil leaves!